Ceramic fire board is a type of high temperature insulation material made from very fine interlocking ceramic fibers andreinforcing additives that are bonded together. It is manufactured using a wet-laid process where the fibers are dispersed in water and then formed into thin sheets that are dried and cured. The incombustible ceramic fibers and binders used in its manufacture impart properties like excellent heat resistance, low thermal conductivity, flexibility and durability.
Properties Of Ceramic Fire Board
• High temperature resistance – Ceramic fire board can withstand continuous operating temperatures up to 2,200°F and intermittent temperatures up to 2,700°F. This is due to the use of high purity aluminum silicate ceramic fibers as the main material.
• Low thermal conductivity – The small diameter and hollow structure of the ceramic fibers traps air pockets that provide resistance to heat flow. This gives ceramic fire board a low thermal conductivity of around 0.5 – 1.2 Btu·in/hr·ft2·°F, making it an effective insulator.
• Low smoke and toxicity – Ceramic fire board releases minimal smoke and toxic fumes when exposed to high temperatures and flames. This makes it suitable for applications where smoke and toxicity are a concern.
• Flexibility – Ceramic fire board can be cut, shaped and formed to fit various geometries due to its flexibility before exposure to high temperatures. This allows for ease of installation.
• Durability – The ceramic binders and additives used to form ceramic fire board sheets impart good strength and durability, allowing it to remain stable during continued high temperature exposure.
• Chemical resistance – Ceramic fire board exhibits resistance to most chemicals and corrosive environments due to being produced from inert ceramic materials.
Applications Of Ceramic Fire Board
• Furnace and kiln insulation – Ceramic fire board is often used as an insulating layer on the hot face of industrial furnaces and kilns to reduce heat losses and increase thermal efficiency.
• Boiler and pipe insulation – The high temperature resistance and insulation properties of ceramic fire board make it suitable for insulating high temperature boilers, pipes, and ductwork to minimize heat loss.
• Engine exhaust wrapping – Ceramic fire board is used as an insulating wrap around exhaust manifolds and headers of vehicles to protect underlying components from high exhaust gas temperatures.
• Oven insulation – Ceramic fire board panels provide effective heat containment inside industrial ovens and other heating equipment that need to achieve and maintain high operating temperatures.
• Backup insulation – Ceramic fire board can serve as a secondary layer of insulation behind primary insulation materials like firebrick or insulating firebrick as a protective measure.